Rafa Benitez to remain as Real Madrid manager, Florentino Perez confirms

first_img1 Rafa Benitez will remain as manager of Real Madrid and is the ‘chosen one’, club president Florentino Perez has announced.Madrid had called a press conference on Monday following a board meeting to dissect the humbling 4-0 defeat to Barcelona at the Bernabeu on Saturday evening.There had been speculation that after falling-outs with players such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Perez would remove Benitez from his role, despite only appointing the former Liverpool boss in the summer.Following the weekend’s defeat, Madrid sit in third place, six points adrift of Barcelona at the top of the league.Perez said: “We have had a board meeting and analysed the sporting situation at Real Madrid. Rafa has all our support and all our confidence.“Rafa Benítez has all the ability and has only just started his job here. Let him keep working and he will achieve his objectives.“We had a very bad match, these things happen, but it wasn’t for a lack of attitude.“We are convinced that we have a great squad that will give much happiness to a fanbase that deserves everything. Rafa Benítez is the chosen one to bring success to this squad that since January has struggled. Now more than ever he needs the support of all of our followers.”When asked whether sacking Benitez was ever discussed, Perez responded: “I just said that. No one in the board has ever suggested that. We have unanimity. We have to let him work. Some players have been two months without playing; they need time. We need time for the team to work the way we would like.” Rafa Benitez last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*