Ronaldo back with a bang

first_imgMADRID, Spain (AP): Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice on his return as Real Madrid began their quest for a third straight Champions League title by beating Cypriot club APOEL 3-0 yesterday. Ronaldo scored in each half in his first match since being suspended for shoving a referee in the Spanish Super Cup final last month. He’s still suspended for one more match of his five-game suspension, but was cleared to play in European competition. Sergio Ramos scored the third goal at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, where Madrid have not lost a group-stage game in almost eight years. The Spanish powerhouse has won 12 of their last 13 Champions League games at the Bernabeu. Tottenham defeated Borussia Dortmund 3-1 in the other Group H match. It didn’t take long for Ronaldo to make a difference. In the 12th minute, he scored with an angled shot from near the far post after a low cross by Gareth Bale. His second in the 51st was a penalty kick after a handball was called inside the area. Ronaldo has the most successful penalty-kick goals in Champions League history, with 12, one more than Lionel Messi. Ronaldo also struck the crossbar, and had two goals disallowed for offside. Madrid’s third goal came in the 61st when Ramos flicked the ball into the net while with his back to the goal and with a defender closely marking him. APOEL were eliminated by Madrid when they made a surprising run to the quarter finals in 2012. The Cyprus team has not won any of their 12 away matches in the Champions League, losing the last six in row.last_img read more

China to Construct Coastal Highway for Liberia

first_imgThe poor road networks in Liberia that usually brings the country to a standstill during the rainy season will soon be a thing of the past as the Government of the People’s Republic of China has promised to construct a modern coastal highway that will connect Cape Mount to Cape Palmas.The 350 miles (560 kilometers) coastal belt stretches from Robertsport in Grand Cape Mount County to Cape Palmas, in Maryland County.Foreign Minister Augustine Ngafuan said the Chinese Government and its Liberian counterpart are working out modalities to commence feasibility studies that will see the project commence the soonest possible time.He made the disclosure at a joint press stakeout with Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Yi at the Foreign Ministry in Monrovia over the weekend.The Chinese diplomat, who arrived in country on Saturday for a two day official visit, held discussions with several high-level government officials, including President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.Addressing the press in the foyer of the Ministry, Ngafuan said the two held discussions on various issues including health, infrastructure and human resource development.“Another highlight of the discussion was road construction and this has to do with the construction of the country’s coastline,” he said.He noted that talks have already commenced about the project, but the two countries will be discussing the modalities for accessing funds through the China Fund to Africa to do the feasibility studies for the project. He also confirmed that the coastal highway will be constructed in collaboration with other partners.Minister Ngafuan lauded the bilateral ties that exist between Liberia and China and thanked his Chinese counterpart for the visit.He said Minister Wang’s visit to Liberia was meant to demonstrate China’s continuous solidarity with Liberia and to access China’s cooperation and support to Ebola affected countries; to also see “first hand progress achieved thus far in the post-Ebola recovery efforts.”Minister Ngafuan said President Sirleaf has described Minister Wang’s visit “as an authentication of the strength of the mutually beneficial relationship between our two countries.”He added that the visit has given a new stimulus to both nations’ already strong relationship.“China came to Liberia when we were bedridden as a result of the Ebola crisis and they helped us to get back to our feet and they are helping us now to run faster and catch up,” he added.He stated that the post-conflict and development story of Liberia would be incomplete if the tremendous contributions of China are not given significant chapters.He said China has committed itself to expediting the already agreed projects, including the US$60 million Ministerial Complex which, when completed, will house not less than 10 ministries, an annex to the National Legislature and other projects. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Cop charged for shooting man in abdomen

first_imgJust over a month after he allegedly pulled the trigger on a civilian because the civilian had refused to hand over his backpack, Police rank James Bowman was on Monday arraigned before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan to answer to a charge alleging that on June 25, 2017 at Omai Landing in the EssequiboJames BowmanMagisterial District, he discharged a loaded firearm at Glen McCurdy with intent to maim, disfigure, disable, or cause grievous bodily harm to McCurdy’s person.The unrepresented Bowman told the court he is 29 years old, hails from Mocha, East Bank Demerara, and is a constable of the Guyana Police Force, stationed at the Tactical Services Unit (TSU) in Eve Leary, Georgetown.He also denied the allegation, and was released on his own recognizance.The case will continue on October 17 at the Mahdia Magistrate’s Court.Reports are that on the day of the incident, Police patrolling the Omai area saw VC McCurdy with a haversack on his back acting in a suspicious manner.He was reportedly accosted, but whipped out a chopper from his bag and advanced on the Police. He fired several chops at the officers, and ignored orders to drop the weapon.According to the Prosecution’s case, McCurdy was subsequently shot to the abdomen; and he dropped his bag, which was searched by Police and found to contain a quantity of leaves, seeds and stems suspected to be cannabis.McCurdy has since been charged with trafficking 320 grams of cannabis, and has been remanded to prison.last_img read more

Woods admits doubts over Major record bid

first_img“It’s like everybody else. I’ve gone through periods where I didn’t hit very good, didn’t chip very good, didn’t putt very good,” he said. “I know what I can do, but sometimes it just doesn’t come out.“That’s when, for me, in the past and will always continue to be that way, I’ve just got to go back and work harder.“Get out there and do my work on the range, do my work on the golf course at home and make that solid so when I get into a tournament situation, it is able to come out.”Woods’ four-year Major drought follows a sex scandal that broke in 2009, prompting him to take a break from golf, followed by injury and a fresh attempt to remodel his game.Three titles this season — breaking a two-and-a-half year barren streak — indicate the 36-year-old is getting back to form, but world number one McIlroy, 23, has now emerged as golf’s stand-out performer.“For a number of years I’ve been the youngest one. Throughout my years it’s been Phil (Mickelson), Vijay (Singh), Ernie (Els), (David) Duval, Paddy (Harrington),” Woods said.“All these guys won Major championships or were number one in the world or won a bucket-load of tournaments all around the world, but they’re all older than me. I was the youngest of all of those parties.“Rory is younger, so this is the next generation of guys… Rory is the head of the class of that by far. He’s had an amazing start to his career, winning two Major championships and winning tournaments all around the world.”Woods said it was “good fun” to compete against the new players, but added that golf’s strength in depth, aided by equipment and training changes, had made tournaments far more competitive.“Look at how many guys won Major championships for their very first time. The game has gotten so much deeper in that regard,” he said.“So I think it’s more difficult now to win golf tournaments in general because the equipment has nullified and brought the fields closer together.“These big-hitting drivers, and the balls don’t curve as much. Guys that were one of the better ball-strikers don’t have the same advantages as they used to.“Cuts used to be between the leader and the cut number was generally 12, 13, even sometimes 14 shots. Now we have 70-plus guys that are generally (within) 10 shots. So that has shrunk down considerably.”He added: “So I think overall the competition has gotten better, and certainly I have to continue working to try to become better myself because everyone else is.”However, the divorced father-of-two insisted that while Nicklaus’s 18 Majors, and Sam Snead’s record of 82 tournament wins — Woods is currently on 74 — were important, there were bigger things in his life.“I certainly want to break Jack’s record and catch Snead’s record. Those are all things that I would love to do throughout my career,” Woods said.“But being the best father I can possibly be to my two great kids, that certainly is number one in my life.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, October 24 – Tiger Woods Wednesday admitted harbouring doubts over whether he could overhaul Jack Nicklaus’s record of 18 Major titles and said a new generation, led by Rory McIlroy, had complicated his task.Woods, speaking in Malaysia ahead of this week’s CIMB Classic, said his confidence about reaching the magical 19 had “absolutely” wavered after going four years without a Major win since the 2008 US Open.last_img read more

Agero to skipper Shujaa at Safari 7s

first_img0Shares0000Eden Agero at the Sydney Sevens.NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 7 – Experienced fly-half Eden Agero will captain Shujaa as the team seeks to defend the Safari Sevens this weekend at the RFUEA Ground.Agero will be assisted by Michael Wanjala with the rest of the players forming the squad including Herman Humwa, Alvin Otieno, Harold Anduvate, Johnstone Olindi, Daniel Taabu, Mark Wandetto, Charles Omondi, Dennis Ombachi, Cyprian Kuto and Leonard Mugaisi. 0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) Samuel Motari will skipper the second string Morans side which also features Brian Wahinya, Eliakim Kichoi, Timothy Mmasi, Brian Wandera, Mark Kwemoi, Gregory Ochieng, Shaddon Munoko, Paul Mutsami, Ronnie Omondi, Vincent Onyala and Eric Ombasa.Both teams will be under the tutelage of Paul Murunga and Kevin Wambua while Lamech Bogonko is the team physio.SquadsShujaaEden Agero, Michael Wanjala, Herman Humwa, Alvin Otieno, Harold Anduvate, Johnstone Olindi, Daniel Taabu, Mark Wandetto, Charles Omondi, Dennis Ombachi, Cyprian Kuto and Leonard Mugaisi.MoransSamuel Motari, Brian Wahinya,Eliakim Kichoi, Timothy Mmasi, Brian Wandera, Mark Kwemoi, Gregory Ochieng, Shaddon Munoko, Paul Mutsami, Ronnie Omondi, Vincent Onyala and Eric Ombasa.last_img read more

Red Cross recruiting Peace Region volunteers

first_imgVolunteers are being recruited for training to assist individuals and families affected by a fire, flood or other disaster in the Peace Region. The type of volunteers needed are people with excellent communication and listening skills, and who work well under stress. If interested in finding out more, a volunteer information session will held online on October 9 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. For more information or to RSVP, contact bcyukon.dmvolunteer@redcross.ca.- Advertisement –last_img

Alaska Highway open between Coal River and Yukon Border

first_imgFORT NELSON, B.C. – The Alaska Highway is open again between Coal River and the Yukon Border.The Highway was closed Tuesday after a forest fire near Lower Post caused officials to close the highway. Highway 97 is open to single lane alternating traffic and is pilot car controlled.Lower Post remains under an evacuation order due to the Lutz Creek Fire.  The fire is now 5,000 hectares and 33 firefighters are working to fight the fire.The Lutz Creek #BCwildfire is ~4,000 ha and ~5 km south of Lower Post which is 200 km northeast of Dease Lake and 20 km southeast of Watson Lake, Yukon. Structure protection is set up and operating in that community. Firefighters, heavy equipment and air tankers are responding. https://t.co/VUTqh2FmKt— BC Wildfire Service (@BCGovFireInfo) August 22, 2018- Advertisement –last_img read more

PSG make progress in bid to land Arsenal and Swansea target

first_img1 Serge Aurier Paris Saint-Germain have made progress in their bid to sign Ivory Coast defender Serge Aurier, who has been linked with a trio of Premier League clubs.talkSPORT first told you last week that PSG had lodged a bid for Aurier, who scored six goals and grabbed six assists in Ligue 1 for Toulouse last season.Now sources in France claim the French champions will trump Arsenal, Swansea City and QPR as they are close to reaching an agreement with Toulouse to sign the defender.PSG’s cash-plus-player proposal, which includes a fee of £7m and the services of midfielder Clement Chantome, is reportedly superior to any offers Toulouse have received from England in recent weeks. Chantome, the 26-year-old PSG midfielder, spent last season on loan at Toulouse.last_img read more

Poor training at LAX called risk to public

first_imgIn addition to security issues, the study said the workers are further hampered – and the public inconvenienced – because of insufficient or broken equipment. Examples cited included problems with broken or malfunctioning wheelchairs and a lack of training in how to care for the disabled. A complaint over this issue has been filed with the U.S. Department of Transportation, the report said. The report recommends that Los Angeles World Airports, which runs LAX, adopt a policy to give it more oversight over the contracts and ensure there is a minimum standard of training of the workers. Several other airports, including San Francisco and those in Europe, have such a policy. It also urges that airlines be required to use a competitive bidding process from among a list of preapproved firms and that other regulations be adopted to ensure compliance. Representatives from several airlines did not return phone calls seeking comment. LAX officials said they would have no comment until today’s release of the report. Officials in the office of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said they were reviewing the report. Councilman Bill Rosendahl, whose district includes LAX, said he wants more information on the study to verify its findings. “LAX is the first stop for many people coming to Los Angeles and they aren’t getting a good impression of us with the way they are being greeted by the people who are looking at their IDs or pushing them in a wheelchair,” he said. “That’s something that has to concern all of us.” rick.orlov@dailynews.com (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A lack of training and adequate oversight of passenger-service workers at Los Angeles International Airport is endangering public health and security, according to a study set to be released today. In its report, the Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy said the airlines subcontract passenger-service operations to private firms with little regard for training or the quality of equipment provided to accommodate disabled passengers. “The airlines have allowed their contractors to put the security and the health of the public at risk, while failing to provide adequate services to passengers with disabilities,” the report said. LAANE was the group that spearheaded a push a decade ago to require concessionaires at LAX to pay a living wage to their workers. It also is trying to require hotels near LAX to adopt the same pay standard. “We don’t think anyone has brought to light the conditions of these workers or what is going on at Los Angeles International Airport,” said Caroline Briones, one of the study’s authors. Briones said the group’s study of nearly 300 of the 2,500 LAX service workers shows the airlines have been so concerned with saving money that customer service at LAX now lags behind the nation’s other large airports. The study found that less than 20 percent of the passenger-service workers surveyed have received training to spot false identifications, fewer than 25 percent have been trained to spot suspicious packages or behavior, and less than 10 percent have been trained in terminal evacuation or other emergency procedures. To control costs, airlines began contracting out such services several years ago. At Tom Bradley International Terminal, seven passenger-service contractors operate simultaneously. “The airport’s size and prominence make it a prime terrorist target,” the study said. “However … efforts to improve airport security and operations at LAX are undermined by the airlines’ contracting system.” last_img read more

Lancaster man, boy wounded in shooting

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LANCASTER — A Lancaster man and a boy were hospitalized with gunshot wounds after they were fired upon early Sunday morning in a parking lot at a Palmdale shopping center, sheriff’s deputies said. The shooting occurred at 3 a.m. outside Lowe’s on 47th Street East, sheriff’s deputies. James Gutierrez, 38, and a 17-year-old whose identity was withheld were reported in stable condition, deputies said.last_img read more