Omonia look to bounce back from derby defeat

first_imgDue to the Easter weekend holiday there is a midweek round of fixtures in the Cyprus football championship, with four games played on Wednesday and two more on Thursday.The big game on Wednesday will be played in Nicosia between Omonia and AEL where both teams have set their sights on fourth place, a position that may give them a ticket into European football next season. Omonia trail AEL by four points and anything other than a win will seriously dent their hopes of qualifying for European competition. Against Apoel on Sunday they were woeful and will need to improve considerably if they are to get the three points against a team that is well organised.AEL have two wins in as many games under new coach Bruno Baltazar and know that even a draw will be a positive result for them as they will maintain their four-point cushion over the Greens.Third-placed AEK are at home to bottom of the group Anorthosis, with the hosts expected to return to winning ways following their defeat by AEL.AEK have been inconsistent in recent weeks – something that has prompted a section of their fans to demand the replacement of their coach Imanol Idiakez for the new season.They outplayed and deservedly defeated leaders Apoel two weeks ago while last Sunday they lost out to AEL in a game that they were expected to win comfortably.The two games in the relegation group see Aris entertaining Karmiotissa at the Tsirion stadium while Ethnikos Achnas take on group leaders Ermis Aradippou.After two consecutive defeats Aris have begun to feel the pressure as Doxa Katokopias, the team currently occupying the final relegation slot, are just three points behind. Championship group:Omonia vs AEL (16.00), AEK vs Anorthosis (18.00)Relegation Group:Ethnikos Achnas vs Ermis, Aris vs Karmiotissa (both at 17.00)last_img read more

Berbice cold cases to be re-opened – Ramjattan

first_imgPublic Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan says all cold murder cases in Berbice will be reopened. The announcement was made on Saturday during a meeting with residents of the Upper Corentyne.Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan speaking to Berbice residentsThe meeting was organised to encourage residents to become involved in the process of information gathering, as the Police continue their investigations into the killing of Corentyne carpenter Faiyaz Narinedatt, whose body was discovered along the Corentyne Highway at Number 70 Village on November 1.During the discourse, Ramjattan announced that all cold cases would be reopened, and he expressed optimism that they would be solved.“As Minister, I have told the Commissioner, ‘do not close any of the cold cases… start re-opening them’ and we are catching one, two people now. The Police are having an eye out as they are investigating other crimes. The cold crimes; it is so important that we do not shut any books or throw them away and say we done with that,” Ramjattan said.The Minister made these comments in response to residents’ concerns over the seeming reluctance of the Police to act on new evidence in relation to several murders on the Corentyne.Seerani Chandarpaul, of Number 69 Village, disclosed that the Police have not acted on new evidence in relation to the death of her 28-year-old son, Havan Chandarpaul, in August 2015.Last month, this publication reported that Chandarpaul had gone to the Springlands Police Station with what she claimed to be new evidence regarding the death of her son.On August 24, 2015, the body of Havan Chandarpaul, a fisherman of Number 68 Village, Corentyne, was discovered in a pond about half a mile into the backdam.The body bore marks of violence. According to relatives, there was a laceration on the right side of the head and two on the left side. The man’s back also carried a similar wound, while his right shoulder seemed to have been fractured. The veins in each of his ankles were severed and his hands were bound behind his back.Moments after the discovery was made, Police identified and arrested a key suspect along with more than 20 others who were in the bar with the suspect.Another man was later arrested followed by a woman who had earlier told Chandarpaul’s father that he was dead and his body was in the backdam.However, all of the suspects have been released on station bail.According to the dead man’s mother, the Police are not acting on the new information which has surfaced and could further implicate the three prime suspects.Ramjattan explained that the Police were capable of closing the cold cases just as they have done with many other cases.The Minister revealed that several members of the Major Crime Unit would be stationed in Berbice to collect any new evidence on cold cases in Berbice in order to begin investigations.last_img read more

Kuto stars as Kenya ‘A’ humble visitors Hong Kong

first_img0Shares0000Hong Kong players go for a line-out in the match against Kenya. PHOTO/FRANCIS MBATHANAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 23- Homeboyz winger Cyprian Kuto produced a man of the match performance as Kenya ‘A’ 15’s team humbled visiting Hong Kong 24-18 in a test match played at a soggy Impala Ground on Tuesday night.On a cold and wet night, Kenya ‘A’ managed to comeback three points down from an 8-3 scoreline to close within as Hong Kong lead 11-10 at the interval. However, the hosts returned stronger for the final period to take a 24-11 lead before Kenya scored a late converted try to seal the famous victory.“We really had to come in and put our best feet forward. It was a very tough match especially when we started a bit slow in the first half because of some jitters. But once we got right into it in the second half, we managed to get a good hold. It gives us a lot of motivation winning an international match,” Kuto told Capital Sport after the match.“It shows that we really need more of these test matches because I think we can match and probably beat most of the teams ahead of us on the standings,” he added.The game though was blighted by an injury picked up by skipper of the day Innocent ‘Namcos’ Simiyu early in the first half.The victorious Kenya A team line up for a group photo after beating Hong Kong on August 23, 2016. PHOTO/RAYMOND MAKHAYA“I know he is a strong man. It is a problem with his Achilles tendon but we will assess it and see how long it will take. Of course it is a worry noting that he had battled a long injury before but hopefully it is nothing too serious. We’ve just said a prayer for him,” assistant coach Dominique Habimana noted after the game.Hong Kong skipper Nick Hewson conceded defeat but promised they will bounce back in the second match on Saturday against the Kenya Simbas which will be a full test match that will reflect on the IRB rankings.“Kenya were better than us today because they came out strong especially in the second half. There are lessons we picked today like working on our breakdowns and come Saturday we will be better. It was a very good run out for us especially because we haven’t been together for long,” the skipper offered.The visitors were off to a flyer, Connor Hartley touching down on the left for a 5-0 lead, coming just after Jason Kjestrop’s penalty had gone wide.The Simbas reduced the deficit to 5-3 via a Michael Agevi penalty but Hong Kong went right back into a healthy lead with Kjestrop converting a penalty to take the scores to 8-3.With Simiyu out injured and Sam Onsomu coming on for him, Hong Kong continued with their decent run with Kjestrop converting another penalty for an 11-3 lead.Urged on by the capacity crowd which braved the evening chill, the Simbas pushed on with Kuto producing a darting run from deep in the Kenya half, only to be stopped just inside the Hong Kong 22.Dejected Hong Kong players stand on the pitch after the final whistle. PHOTO/FRANCIS MBATHAKenya built on from there, with Patrice Agunda grounding under the posts as Kevin Masai converted for an 11-10 score at half time.After the break, Kenya immediately started with a punch, Onsomu showing a clean pair of heels with some good kicking pace from a turnover defying the slippery nature of the pitch to dot down for a 15-10 Kenya lead. Masai converted as Kenya went 17-10 up.Kuto then pulled up one of his trademark runs, pacing down on the left straight from a line out deep in Kenya’s half and diving down to stretch the score to 22-11, Masai taking it two further to 24 after converting.Hong Kong pressurized late, with Matt Rosley converting Jack Pafit’s try to push the score to a six point match, but it was too little too late as the hosts held on for the win.Saturday’s match promises to be a cracker with Kenya poised to go past number 22 on the World Rugby rankings if they beat Hong Kong by a margin of more than 15 points.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

There is a new councillor in Fort St. John

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Lilia Hansen is the newest councillor of Fort St. John as she was elected Saturday night.Hansen received 256 votes out of 1157 as she will now take the vacant seat on city council.  Voter turnout in was 7.57 per cent, the lowest voter turnout Fort St. John has seen.In the most recent by-election where Bruce Christensen was elected as the new councillor, voter turnout was 9.09 per cent, 1,186 voters headed to that election, when there were 13,045 eligible voters.- Advertisement –More to come…last_img read more

Tottenham ready to battle Roma for highly-rated forward

first_img1 Tottenham are ready to battle Roma for the signature of Marseille forward Andre Ayew.Roma remain favourites to sign the 25-year-old, whose contract with Marseille expires next month, but Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino intends to fly out to France when the season ends to try and persuade him to move to north London.According to Mercato365, Marseille have made an initial deal with Roma to allow Ayew to join them if they secure Champions League qualification.The Giallorossi currently occupy the third and final Champions League spot in Serie A but are just five points ahead of Napoli in fourth with five games to play.Should Roma fail to qualify, Spurs will be ready to pounce on the highly-rated Ayew, who has scored 58 goals in 188 appearances for Marseille. Andre Ayew in action last_img read more

Crystal Palace reject £50million bid from Man United for Aaron Wan-Bissaka

first_img Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Getty Images LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Wan-Bissaka was one of the standout performers in the Premier League last season deals 2 IN DEMAND However, United have hit a setback in their pursuit of full-back Wan-Bissaka.Sky Sports News have reported that the bid was worth an initial £35m, with additional payments totalling to £15m.It is understood Palace are not happy with the structure of the offer but the club could be more tempted with a bid of £50m up front.The England Under-21 international is thought to prefer a move to Old Trafford but is not agitated to leave Selhurst Park and hasn’t submitted a transfer request. whoops JIBE United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen to bring Wan-Bissaka to Old Trafford Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? “I have got three years left on my contract. It says I am going to be there, so that is all I can focus on now.”United are on the lookout for another full-back following Antonio Valencia’s departure from the club at the end of the season.They’ve already made one signing in the transfer window this summer, acquiring winger Daniel James from Swansea for £15million. Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland 2 LATEST Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Getty Images – Getty REAL DEAL Tottenham issue immediate ban to supporter who threw cup at Kepa Wan-Bissaka, 21, has three years left on his current deal at Palace. He made 39 appearances for the club last season.At the beginning of last month, Wan Bissaka said: “The situation just shows that my performances don’t go unnoticed.“But I am with Crystal Palace at the moment.“That is where my contract is and that is where I will be next season. Lampard appears to aim dig at Mourinho for handling of Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea latest punished Manchester United have had a bid rising to £50million for Aaron Wan-Bissaka rejected by Crystal Palace, according to reports.The Red Devils are looking to strengthen their options in defence, with the club also being linked to the likes of Matthijs de Ligt and Harry Maguire. Real Madrid ‘offer’ Isco to Chelsea in bid to ‘make room’ for Tottenham star Man United transfer news live: Haaland ‘wants a change’, two players off in January last_img read more

Councillor convicted of drink driving

first_imgA Donegal county councillor has been convicted of drink driving.Ciaran Brogan, a former chairman of Donegal County Council, appeared at Letterkenny District Court.The court heard how Mr Brogan was found asleep at the steering wheel of a car in the middle of a public road. He denied being in charge of a vehicle while exceeding the alcohol limit on June 22nd, 2015 at Ballymacool, Letterkenny.The businessman, from Sockar, Trentagh, was in court for the hearing.Garda Stephen Moyles told the court that he was on mobile patrol at 11.40pm when he responded to a report of a car parked in the middle of the road with its lights on and its engine running.When he arrived he found a silver Toyota Avensis parked in a dangerous manner in the middle of a narrow road. When he approached the car he found a man asleep with his arms folded. Garda Moyles said he recognised the man as Ciaran Brogan. He opened the door and turned the engine off and removed the keys.He said he detected a strong smell of intoxicating liquor coming from the car.Garda Moyles said he tried to rouse the suspect. This took a couple of minutes.Brogan was startled and Garda Moyles said he must have had his foot on the brake as the car rolled back and collided with the Garda patrol car which was parked three to four metres behind.The garda said Brogan was unsteady on his feet and his speech was slurred. The suspect was taken to Letterkenny garda station where a blood sample was taken.The sample returned a reading of 244 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood.Mr O’Gorman submitted to Judge Paul Kelly that there was no factual evidence that the accused intended to drive the vehicle.Judge Kelly said the prima facie evidence of his intention to drive could be inferred from the circumstances in which the gardaí found him. Judge Kelly imposed a €400 fine and disqualified him from driving for three years.Councillor convicted of drink driving was last modified: December 2nd, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Updated: More than 2000 flights canceled as Hurricane Florence arrives

first_imgPhoto: NASA Hurricane Florence has already been a major contributor to more than 2000 flight cancellations across the US as it delivers pounding rain and strong winds to the mid-Atlantic states.The downgraded category 1 hurricane started pummeling the Carolinas Thursday (US time), leaving hundreds of thousands without power amid warnings of dangerous storm surges and flooding.It made landfall Friday morning near Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, and was moving slowly westward.Storm surges of 10ft above normal levels had been reported by 11pm Eastern Time Thursday and remained a worry in some areas Friday.The biggest concern, however, was flooding triggered by heavy rainfall of up to 40 inches (10cms) in some areas.Doppler radar indicated winds near 70mph (110kmh) Friday with higher gusts and the storm had been further downgraded to tropical storm.“Gradual weakening is expected tonight,” the US National Hurricane Center said in its 5pm Friday update. “Significant weakening is forecast over the weekend and into early next week while Florence moves farther inland.”US airlines began the arduous process of canceling flights before the hurricane, initially feared to reach the US as a monster category 4 storm, arrived.SEE More pictures of Florence from space.Initial expectations were that it could affect flights into Charleston International. Officials at the South Carolina airport closed Charleston to all air traffic Wednesday evening, September 12. Closures were also announced for Fayetteville, Jacksonville and Wilmington.Florence also triggered cancellations at a far busier North Carolina airport: Charlotte-Douglas International (CLT).According to CLT, the North Carolina airfield is the sixth busiest airport in the world offering more than 160 nonstop destinations around the globe.CLT oversees more than 700 departures and landings each day and is served by seven domestic carriers and three foreign flag carriers.The airport is also American Airlines’ second largest hub and the second largest airport on the East Coast. What happens at Charlotte has a ripple effect throughout AA’s system.American said on Thursday it had canceled 820  flights from September 12  to September 16.The US Federal Aviation Administration late Wednesday issued advice to travelers warning of cancelations and delays in the direct path of the storm as well as in its aftermath.“Once Hurricane Florence makes ground fall, airports may be listed as “open” but flooding on local roadways may limit access to airports for passengers, as well as the employees who work for the airlines or at the airport,” it said.“As a result, every aspect of your trip to the airport, including parking, checking in, getting through security and boarding may take longer than usual.“As always, check with airlines about the status of your flight before you leave for the airport.” Major carriers provide flight status updates on their website.”Just how long the disruption will be is up to the extent of the havoc Florence sews in her devasting journey along the United States’ Middle Atlantic coastline.Here are websites for major US airlines:Southwest AirlinesDelta AirlinesUnited AirlinesAmerican AirlinesJetBlueAlaskaSpiritFrontierAllegiantlast_img read more

Read/Write Daily: Watch Out for Zombie Drones

first_img8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Today’s theme is do it yourself. You know that saying, “If you want something done right… ” Well, sometimes the status quo won’t bring the future fast enough, so fired-up people have to do it themselves.Even if that means building space stations.As U.S. government support for its space program wanes, NASA is making legal room for entrepreneurs who want to take over.These new private space companies are teaming up to build whole space stations.The European Space Agency is looking for asteroids and other “space hazards,” and amateur astronomers have volunteered their help.On the Web, companies want to serve us our future by monetizing our information. Maybe we’d have a better future if we became our own platforms.What happens if we don’t do it ourselves? We lose control. We get driven around by robots…… and we have to watch out for zombie drones.Image via Shutterstock.Past entries from Read/Write Daily jon mitchell Tags:#science#web A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…center_img Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Related Posts last_img read more