Analysts bump open RAN outlook

first_img Tags Related AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore25 08 FEB 2021 Samsung lands 5G supply deal with NTT Docomo Market research company Dell’Oro Group boosted its short-term open RAN sales forecast, tipping revenue from hardware, software and firmware to hit $10 billion by end-2025 as momentum behind the approach grows.The company previously predicted sales would top $5 billion by end-2024, with cumulative shipments of macro and small sales forecast to exceed 1 million, but noted it raised its projections to account for the state of the market.It now expects open RAN to account for 10 percent of the overall RAN market by end-2025, with “healthy traction in multiple regions” driving 2 million in cumulative kit shipments over the slightly longer forecast period.Stefan Pongratz, Dell’Oro Group VP and analyst, explained “the overall attitude towards open RAN has clearly changed over the past six months”, adding there is “no longer a question if open RAN will happen,” but a focus “on the timing and scope” of deployments.In the months since Dell’Oro Group released its original forecast in September 2020, separate open RAN collaboration deals were announced between Telefonica and Rakuten and O2 UK and NEC; Vodafone Group outlined plans for a large-scale deployment in the UK; and five major European players committed to rollouts across the continent. Subscribe to our daily newsletter Back Diana is Mobile World Live’s US Editor, reporting on infrastructure and spectrum rollouts, regulatory issues, and other carrier news from the US market. Diana came to GSMA from her former role as Editor of Wireless Week and CED Magazine, digital-only… Read more Diana Goovaerts Authorcenter_img Telecom Italia claims open RAN first Español Nokia confía en su ventaja frente a los especialistas en RAN abierta Home Analysts bump open RAN outlook Previous ArticleTikTok rival Kuaishou targets content boostNext ArticleT-Mobile looks to mmWave for private networks network equipmentRANlast_img read more

O’Donnell, Knaus discuss errant penalty to No. 48 team

first_imgFORT WORTH, Texas — Crew chief Chad Knaus and other Hendrick Motorsports personnel visited the NASCAR hauler following Sunday’s race at Texas Motor Speedway to meet with NASCAR officials after the No. 48 team was mistakenly sent to the rear of the field pre-race for failing inspection.NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer Steve O’Donnell issued an apology to the No. 48 team and said league officials would work to better the communication in the future.RELATED: Complete race results“It’s unacceptable on our part,” O’Donnell said. “There was a communication breakdown that happened right before the start of the race between the ground and race control, where I think there was an assumption there was a third failure. There wasn’t, there were only two. In that case, the 48 (of driver Jimmie Johnson) shouldn’t have started in the back.“So, at this point, what we can do is put processes in place to fix that so it never happens again. It’s disappointing. It’s not something you can fix during the race, unfortunately. So all we can do is own up to it and fix it.”Johnson had qualified 23rd for Sunday’s event in the Lone Star State. His No. 48 Chevrolet failed pre-race inspection two times, which calls for a loss of practice time.NASCAR officials announced over the radio that the No. 48 was to drop to the rear after it was recorded as three failures.“It’s very difficult,” said Knaus, who was atop the pit box calling the race for Johnson for the 600th time Sunday. “We had some communication with one of our officials. He didn’t think that was the case, so that’s why I kept Jimmie in his position with one lap to go before we took the green flag. At that point, NASCAR was very adamant that we needed to go to the rear. Which, with the information the race director had at that point, we needed to go to the rear.“So, it was just a miscommunication.”O’Donnell said by the time they’d realized the mistake, the race already had begun.“It was written down as a third failure. So, that’s where it broke down,” O’Donnell said. “When it goes out and it’s during the parade laps and there’s a lot going on … we didn’t hear from the team at that point, or maybe we missed it. So, at that point once we recognized in race control a mistake had happened, we already started the race.”Hendrick Motorsports Vice President of Competition Jeff Andrews and No. 48 team co-owner Jeff Gordon also visited the NASCAR hauler with Knaus, who spoke to the group’s conversation on how to remedy the situation moving forward.“As an industry, we need to try to figure out a way to make that happen a little bit better,” Knaus said. “(NASCAR is) working on looking into a way to try to make it where we have a direct line of communication.“NASCAR sees the error and mistake, and they’re going to work to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”last_img read more