HomeNewsEducationSamohi Graduate behind Trump’s Inauguration Speech Jan. 20, 2017 at 8:45 amEducationNewsSamohi Graduate behind Trump’s Inauguration SpeechGuest Author4 years agodaily pressJake ZambasSamohiSanta Monicasanta monica high schoolsanta monica high school studentStephen Millertrump The politics that left many Californians confused and concerned late into the evening on Election Night actually played out in a Samohi classroom more than ten years ago. Just as many Santa Monicans on Nov. 8 were stunned a man like Donald Trump could captivate nearly half the nation and win the presidency, back in 2003, members of Santa Monica’s AP Government class wondered how one of their classmates could suddenly shift so far to the right.That same classmate will have the country’s full attention at President-elect Trump’s inauguration, as the new president’s principal speechwriter and chief strategist.“What Stephen does for Trump now is stoke the fire of fear,” said former classmate Adrian Karima who vividly remembers that AP Government class. “Stephen was very good at doing that.”Stephen Miller grew up north of Montana Avenue in Santa Monica, the son of affluent, Jewish parents who are liberal according to friends of the family. In High School, Miller’s politics suddenly shifted radially to the right and he made it known to everyone: writing editorials, calling in to conservative talk radio shows, and battling with his progressive public high school’s administration.“Osama Bin Laden would feel very welcome at Santa Monica High School,” Miller wrote in an op-ed in the Santa Monica Lookout when he was 16-years-old. Miller did not respond to the Daily Press’s request for an interview. As a teen, Miller complained after 9/11 when the campus invited a Muslim leader to explain Islam. He said the administration and teachers were unsupportive of the War and of America in general. The next year, Miller wrote another op-ed “How I changed my left-wing high school” and called himself “something of a persona non-grata.”To those who remember Miller’s days at Samohi, his self-description is spot on.“Stephen was an ultra-right wing conservative in training at the time,” Oscar de la Torre, a current School Board member said of Miller. De la Torre was a counselor while Miller was forming his ideology and remembers working with Miller on a district committee to address equality in funding among different campuses.“He was against African American studies. He was against ethnic studies. He was against anything in the curriculum that celebrated the diversity of our country,” de la Torre said.The school board member is not the only person to outright call Miller’s teenage political philosophy as racist.“I don’t know what else to call it,” said former classmate Jake Zambas. Zambas said learning Miller was behind Trump’s campaign brought in to focus Trump’s stance on immigration and the Syrian refugee crisis. In his teenage writings, Miller said Spanish language materials in his high school were a “crutch” to the immigrant population that made a “mockery of the American ideal of personal accomplishment.”Those kinds of statements, along with other assertions that the schools’ gay/straight alliance should out students to their parents and that the school should stop providing free contraceptives caused Miller to lose friends and make adversaries.“It still seems like it’s out of left of field that the shift would happen so quickly,” said classmate Taylor Brinckerhoff, who grew up spending every Passover at Miller’s home with their two families. Although they were close growing up, Brinckerhoff and his brother lost contact with Miller when his politics changed.“We didn’t want to be associated with that kind of propaganda and discrimination,” Brinckerhoff said.Many former Samohi students who spoke to the Daily Press remember when Miller brought conservative writer David Horowitz to speak on campus. Horowitz has written extensively against political correctness and liberal ideology on college campuses. A campaign by Miller brought back the daily Pledge of Allegiance at the high school.“He was a very confident and opinionated student and always stood up for what he believed in,” said Dr. Mark Kelly, who was co-principal at Samohi when Stephen was a student there and is now Interim Deputy Superintendent of the District.“It is not surprising to learn that he is working in this capacity in the Trump organization. We are always proud of students who go on to prominent careers serving their community or our country.”Miller’s conservative beliefs deepened while he was an undergraduate student at Duke University and then as a staffer for Representative Michelle Bachmann and Senator Jeff Sessions. When he began warming up arenas before Trump’s speeches and appearing on cable news, his former classmates were astonished but not surprised.“The view I had of Stephen back in the day: this guy is a loudmouth, very opinionated and outspoken about his conservative beliefs,” Karima said. “A lot of people just brushed him off thinking he would simmer down when he got older.”“With Trump, a lot of people did the same thing: brushed him off as some loudmouth and now he’s president.”[email protected]www.smdp.comTags :daily pressJake ZambasSamohiSanta Monicasanta monica high schoolsanta monica high school studentStephen Millertrumpshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentGrisham’s First Novel: A Tale of Rape and MurderFilm Review: Patriots DayYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall12 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press22 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press22 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson22 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter22 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor22 hours ago
RELATED: Race results | Series standings | Detailed breakdown | At-track photos from BristolKyle Busch completed the second leg in a potential Bristol Motor Speedway tripleheader sweep, rallying to victory in the NASCAR XFINITY Series on Friday night.Busch’s Joe Gibbs Racing No. 18 Toyota led a race-high 186 of 300 laps in the Food City 300. He also converted a come-from-behind victory Wednesday in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.Busch was bitten by a pit-road speeding penalty during the intermission after his Stage 1 win, forcing him to restart in 19th place. But Busch roared back to the front — much like he did in his midweek truck win — in 58 laps to take Stage 2 and position himself for another victory on the .533-mile track.“At least I didn’t have to come through in the last stage because everybody was pretty fast there tonight in the last stage,” said Busch, whose Truck Series comeback came in the final stage. “I don’t know if I would have been able to make it all the way back up through there.”Busch’s fifth XFINITY win of the season was his ninth at Bristol and the 91st of his career. He’ll go for the tripleheader sweep in Saturday’s Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series main event (7:30 p.m. ET, NBC, PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio), a Bristol feat he also accomplished in 2010.“I think we can, yeah,” Busch said of his chances, starting 18th in Bristol’s annual night race. “We’ve got a fast car. We just have to make the right adjustments overnight here and get it ready for tomorrow.”Daniel Suarez, Busch’s Joe Gibbs Racing teammate, netted second place in the No. 20 Toyota, finishing 1.181 seconds behind Busch at the checkered flag.Series points leader Elliott Sadler finished third, clinching a playoff spot by ensuring himself a top-20 result in the regular-season standings. Ty Dillon and Justin Allgaier completed the top five.RELATED: Playoff standings for XFINITY SeriesDale Earnhardt Jr. finished 13th, one lap down, in his first XFINITY start since winning at Richmond in April of 2016. After the race, Earnhardt was treated with fluids for dehydration and hand cramps in the infield care center.The series’ next race is scheduled Aug. 27 at Road America, the sprawling 4.048-mile road course in Elkhart Lake, Wis.Contributing: NASCAR Wire Service
He was employed by The United Superior Insulation Group, LLC. Billy was a 1979 graduate of Lincoln High School and attended Lamar State College for Automotive Engineering. Billy also served his country as a Sergeant in the Texas Army National Guard.A visitation is scheduled Saturday, July 20, 2019 from 9 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. with the funeral starting at 11:00 A.M. at Salem Baptist Church with Rev. Michael R. Woods, officiating. Burial will follow in Live Oak Cemetery under the direction of Gabriel Funeral Home. Mr. Billy Don Keal, of Port Arthur, died Thursday, July 11, 2019 at The Medical Center of Southeast Texas.Billy was a native of Port Arthur and was a Deacon at Seventh Street Baptist Church. Billy was preceded in death by his father, grandparents, a sister and 4 brothers. He is survived by his mother, Gladiola Simpson, his children in love, Kerry Roberts, Joseph Roberts, Chiquita Martin, Aisha Joseph, Felix Joseph and Nicdemus Joseph, all of Port Arthur.Five brothers, Leon (Geneva) of Nacogdoches, TX, Leonard Ray (Sandra), Cornelius (Cheryl), Cleveland, and Michael (Pernella) all of Port Arthur, three sisters, Verna of Birmingham, Alabama, Theresa (Kevin), Elizabeth (Michael) of Port Arthur, 17 grandchildren, 3 godchildren Arnelle Prevost, Ana St. Ann Joseph and Robin Joseph, a special friend Lizzie Roberts and several nieces, nephews, relatives, and friends.
Participants in i-tri attended the kick-off retreat at Pierson High School in Sag Harbor on Saturday, March 23. The i-tri program fosters self-confidence in adolescent girls through physical fitness, nutrition, self-esteem workshops, and other activities. Share
The claimant was the subject of a civil restraining order (CRO). A result of the CRO was that if he wished to seek permission to appeal the CRO, he was required to pay a fee of £80 (the fee requirement). If permission was subsequently granted, the fee would be refunded. The claimant commenced proceedings claiming that the fee requirement was incompatible with his rights under article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights. The claim would be dismissed. It was established law that the right of access to a court did not, in principle, prevent the state from taking action to control the activities of vexatious litigants provided that: (i) the limitations applied did not restrict the access left to the individual in such a way or to such an extent that the very essence of the right was impaired; and (ii) the restriction had to pursue a legitimate aim and have a reasonable relationship of proportionality to the aim sought to be achieved (see  of the judgment). In the instant case, the requirement to pay a fee was not incompatible with article 6 of the Convention. There was no doubt that the requirement to pay the fee was a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim (see ,  of the judgment). Bhamjee v Forsdick (No 2)  All ER (D) 429 (Jul) applied; Tolstoy Miloslavsky v United Kingdom (Application 18139/91)  ECHR 18139/91 considered; Kreuz v Poland (Application 28249/95)  ECHR 28249/95 considered; Podbielski v Poland (Application 39199/98)  ECHR 39199/98 considered. Senior-Milne v Secretary of State for Justice: Queen’s Bench Division, Administrative Court (London) (Mr Justice Coulson): 30 October 2012 Right to a fair hearing – Access to a court – Claimant being subject of civil restraining order The claimant did not appear and was not represented; Sarah-Jane Davies (instructed by the Treasury Solicitor) for the secretary of state.
Cricket HEBOU PNG Barramundis continued their dominant performance at the ICC World Twenty20 East Asia-Pacific Region Qualifier A in Suva, Fiji inflicting another big defeat, this time against Vanuatu. Vanuatu captain Andrew Mansale elected to field first after winning the toss – a decision he must have rued on a flat track. After a delayed start, Barramundis captain Assad Vala got straight into things along with Tony Ura, who had scored a century in the first match. The openers scoring at a healthy rate of over 11 an over in the power play, racing to 69 in the power play, with Ura doing most of the scoring. He was finally dismissed for 51 in just 33 balls as the Vanuatu captain Mansale brought himself to the attack to break the opening partnership. The wicket did nothing to slow the Barras charge as CJ Amini joined continued where Ura left off. Amini and Vala surged the score ahead as Vala, who reached his 50 in style, with a 6 off the bowling of Wesley Viraliliu. Vala decided to unleash and scored his next 50 in just 16 balls and become the second centurion at the tournament. Not to be left behind, Amini scored a massive 20 runs to reach his own half century in the 18th over, which went for 27 runs overall. Despite Vala’s wicket, Barramundis finished strong at 239/2 in their alloted 20 overs. Facing an uphill task, the Vanuatu batting attack got off to a disastrous start as Jason Kila ripped the wicket of opener Ronald Tari with just the second ball of the match. Patrick Matautaava scored some fantastic boundaries before he was dismissed by Kila too for a well played 23. Nalin Nipiko played a gem of an innings at number 4, but he did not have much help from the other end. Opener Joshua Rasu scored just 8 runs in 17 balls before he was caught behind off the bowling of Lega Siaka. Chad Soper bowled an absolutely magical 12th over, taking 4 wickets in his first over as Nipiko watched on, Vanuatu going from 85/4 to 85/7 in the space of 5 balls. Nipiko kept at it, undeterred, smashing Siaka for 23 runs in the 13th over to bring up his 50. But that was as good as it got for Vanuatu, who kept losing wickets and were eventually bundled out for 158. Barramundis lead the table with 6 points from their opening 3 games and go again tomorrow, playing both Fiji and Samoa who faced off in the other game of the day. The hosts won that game by 9 runs and are second in the table, with 4 points from 3 games.
Rugby Union Papua New Guinea Rugby Union (PNGRU) is staging a two-day Pukpuk selection trial to identify players for the forthcoming Oceania cup slated for the end of this month. Yesterday, the six teams, Boromas, Gaigais (Capital Rugby Union), NCDRU (2 teams), provincial composite side and the PNGDF team clashed. The highlight of the trial featured Gaigais overwhelming a determined PNG Defence Force team 40-0 in a one-sided affair. The PNGDF side comprised of players selected from the recently hosted PNGDF Commanders Cup tourney held in Port Moresby last month. The PNGDF are preparing for a tour to Japan for the world military defence force games. Featuring prominently for the Gaigais was playmaker Junias Sabbatha who carved up the PNGDF inside backs at will, with great support from centres James Lumaris and Kenneth Taviri.. While in the forwards, backrowers Gabriel Biyama, Philip Suapo, Himah Alu, Allan Capanis and Desmond Korpok stood out. The scores for the second match between NCDRU2 and Provincial Select, plus the last game between Boromas and NCDRU were not available last night. The provincial composite side consists of eight players from Morobe Rugby Union- Max Vali, Robin Loma Kama Kahn, Joel Wimbi Moses Tagai, Francis Luveni, Steven Kilala, and Laho Posu, Goroka Rugby Union with Henry Turadawai Jnr, Robert Lai Jnr and Emmanuel Solie Jnr, East New Britain Rugby Union with Daniel Punion Sael Rabason, Steven Walter, Serry Sakias and Jonah Jay, Madang with Arnold Lange and Willie Kalai plus Israel Inu from Daru. The trials continue tomorrow, with a break today.