Property may be taxed on ‘non-dom’ earnings

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Heideveld housing upset

first_img Heideveld residents protest outside a house they claim is being illegally occupied. 1 of 2 The community also complained of shoddy workmanship at the housing project. This baths concrete, which is meant to secure it, collapsed. A group of Heideveld residents have accused the housing project under way in the area, of being riddled with corruption, alleging that the community liaison officer (CLO), Ivan Wrenn, took a R20 000 bribe in order to secure a house for someone.Mr Wrenn, however, has denied the allegations, and was scheduled to attend a disciplinary hearing convened by the contractor, by whom he is employed, yesterday Tuesday May 2.Residents have demanded an investigation after a woman, who is apparently from Strand, moved into a house which they claim belongs to another beneficiary and, on Tuesday April 25, the residents protested outside the house in question – 67 Helderberg Close.The group also allege that people as young as 22 years of age, were allocated houses, when others who had been on the City’s housing waiting list for many years, had still not been accommodated.They’ve also expressed their unhappiness over the shoddy workmanship of the construction teams.Pastor Matthew Booysen, who was part of the project steering committee of this housing development, said problems arose when they started questioning things.“As far as we understand, 85 percent of these houses had to go to Heideveld residents. “Then we were told only 75 percent of the locals will get houses here,” Mr Booysen said. “We know of 11 members of one family, who used to live in a nearby informal settlement, who were all given houses. Another thing they failed to implement, is that five percent of the houses had to go to pensioners who are currently living in an upstairs flat, and whose health is not that good any longer. There are people who already own property, that also moved in. There are illegal occupants here. We are tired of corruption. The City of Cape Town must evict all illegal occupants as soon as possible, or the community will evict them,” Mr Booysen said.Soraya Peters said she had to “fight” in order to be allocated a house in this project.“I have been on the housing waiting list for 31 years, but some people who applied in 2002 were allocated houses here. I had to fight my way for my right for a house. I continuously went to the local housing office to make my case heard,” Ms Peters said.Zelda Demas, also a former project steering committee member, said when rumours made the rounds that an illegal had occupant moved in, she approached the woman.“She initially told me that it was a cancellation house. That the original owner no longer wanted it. “After some prodding, we have her on video and audio, admitting that she paid Mr Wrenn an amount ofR20 000 for the house. “The people working high up in the housing directorate know nothing about what is happening on the ground, and we want them to come out here and investigate these matters,” said Ms Demas.The group claim the “original owner” had all his signed-up paperwork in order, with the property’s erf number, and all other details.They claim the paperwork shown to them by the current occupant, is completely different to what they and the other man, who claims ownership of the house, have.Suzette Little, mayoral committee member for area north, said there was no way that two people could lay claim to the same house.Ms Little explained: “It is important to understand the system of allocation correctly. With housing projects in general, beneficiaries are initially given a temporary allocation against an erf number until the construction programme becomes clear. “Once the programme is known, the project team will know which blocks (and therefore erf numbers) will be constructed first. Only then can the final allocation be done since a fair methodology needs to be followed. “Those earliest on the database, the aged, and special needs cases are usually housed first and therefore allocations must change to enable this.“No house can be allocated to two people at once. “At the start of a project, provincial government authorities allocate numbers to erven prior to erven receiving their registered numbers. “Once the erven is registered with the surveyor-general, the erf numbers may change, but even so the same number cannot be allocated to more than one beneficiary.”She confirmed that 85 percent of the houses are earmarked for people from the area.When asked about the allegation of corruption, Ms Little added: “The City will investigate all the allegations and do a survey to confirm whether the allegations have merit.”The woman who moved into the house refused to comment, saying she would wait until after Mr Wrenn’s “hearing”, which was scheduled to take place yesterday (Tuesday May 2). Mr Wrenn told Athlone News he had felt sorry for the woman, who told him she and her children had had no place to stay, but denied that he took any money from her.“The house is a cancellation house. This lady asked me for temporary accommodation. I felt sorry for her because she told me she and her children have nowhere else to go. I told her she can stay in the house just for one month. “I thought that the month might give her a chance to find alternative accommodation, because she told me they have nowhere to go. “I want to clear my name, I never took any money from her. It was a mistake to allow her to move into the house. “At the time, I didn’t think it would be a problem, now my sympathy towards her, got me into trouble,” Mr Wrenn said.center_img The community also complained of shoddy workmanship at the housing project. This baths concrete, which is meant to secure it, collapsed.last_img read more

Inside the deadly world of Italian football ultras – who use knives and grenades to kill rival hooligan gangsters

first_imgVIOLENT bank robberies, gangland hits and bloody street wars where Molotov cocktails tear through the sky.No, it’s not the plot for a new Martin Scorsese film, but the reality of the deadly world of the Ultras – the violent far-right Italian football thugs known as ‘foot-soldiers of the Mafia’.Ultras are violent Italian football hooligans with known links to neo-Nazis and the MafiaCredit: Rex ShutterstockThe masked thugs have been killing each other in Italy for decadesCredit: MirrorpixItaly’s notorious ultras are essentially violent gangs attached to footie teams, who fight in the streets on match day with pick-axe handles, iron bars, chains, slingshots, flare-guns, axes, knives and pistols.Many ultras say they care nothing about football: it’s all about territorial defence, about the colours, the fights and the “mentality”.There are an estimated 4,000 ultras in Italy – and shockingly, the numbers of fans joining these hardcore groups are on the rise.Now, all the major terraces of Italian stadiums are run by hard-core Ultras who receive free tickets and political support because the force of their numbers is so great – and the threat of violent public disorder ever-present.In his new book, Ultra: The Underworld of Italian Football, Tobias Jones explores how and why this violent underworld is expanding so rapidly.Missiles being thrown at players during a game between Inter and AC Milan in 2005Credit: Getty Images – Getty‘It keeps getting worse’“Everyone says that being an ultra is a way of life. But it’s a way of life that has evolved, mutated, regenerated and reinvented itself,” Tobias explains.And it’s the evolution of the ultra world that makes one fan Ciccio Conforti, an ultra since the 1980s, sad.“It truly, truly hurts me to see what happens on the terraces now,” he says, ignoring the game.“It makes me suffer greatly. Because I know we’re responsible.“It was us who created this world. But the thing has got out of hand.“There’s been an escalation, and we’ve gone from fist-fights to knives, from knives to flares, from flares to ambushes, to Molotov cocktails, to bombs and to pistols.“It keeps getting worse.”Incredibly, a surface-to-air missile was also among recent weapons seizedCredit: Italian PoliceCriminal underworldMost Ultra groups have strong links to organised crime syndicates, including the Mafia.Some of the biggest groups are the Droogs of Juventus, named after the violent thugs in A Clockwork Orange, and Lazio’s Irriducibili.The head of Irriducibili was recently convicted of dealing hundreds of kilos of cocaine in the capital, and it’s thought that 30 per cent of Ultras are either petty or major-league criminals.The vast majority of groups also have neo-fascist names, symbols, slogans and salutes, invoking the words and ideals of Hitler and Mussolini, and despise foreigners. Many Ultra groups have links to the far right, and each has a “president” or capo, who gives orders at military style meetings ahead of matches.It’s at these meetings that core members decide on match slogans, songs, attacks and ambushes.Ultra members all dress identically and, for major games, they spend tens of thousands of euros on what they call “choreographies”: stadium mosaics, taunts, flags and flares.An ultra group’s own banner is like a military herald – and they will fight to the death for it.Ultras looking for a fight before a football match – although many ultras say football is irrelevant to their activitiesCredit: Corbis – GettyKilled in bloody brawlDede, a married dad-of-two, was in a pub packed with Inter Milan ultras ahead of their match against Napoli on Boxing Day last year when he was killed in a bloody Ultra battle.Before kick-off, he was caught up in an ambush attack by the Neapolitans on the Inter Ultras.Dede was part of an Ultra group called Blood&Honour – a group known for its neo-Nazi leanings – and was killed in the crossfire.A Blood&Honour banner being displayed at a game – the organisation has neo-Nazi ties and is twinned with Inter Milan ultrasCredit: YouTubeGenerations of bloodshedViolence has been associated with Italian football since the dawn of time.The term “ultra” was first used in the 1820s, but in 1970 after a rowdy game when fans followed the referee all the way to the airport, smashing as much property as they could on the way, a journalist called them ‘ultras’ and the name stuck.Ultras inhabit a world where nicknames emerge from surnames or faces or habits – Zorro earned the nickname when he cut a Z into the cheek of an enemy.There was a tradition in many grounds that the turnstiles would be opened for the last 15 minutes of the match to allow those who couldn’t afford a ticket to come in.For the ultras it was an excuse to leave the ground and go hunting for their rivals.It was what they called the ‘passeggiata’ – the ‘stroll’.Hooligan’s codeLazio fans hold up a sign at Roma which reads ‘Auschwitz is your Homeland, the ovens are your homes’Credit: Associated PressYet the ultras claim to have an ethical code.Fights took place, so they said, only between ultras – not with run-of-the-mill fans, and numbers between rival gangs were pretty much even.“No one ever reported anything to the police. There weren’t supposed to be blades or other weaponry.When someone asked for mercy, you were supposed to give it,” Tobias explains.Games are frequently abandoned when flares are thrown on the pitchCredit: Associated PressLazio ‘ultras’ filmed making fascist salutes in Glasgow ahead of clash with Celtic 8 MOST DANGEROUS RAINS of All Time | TOP 10 INTERESTING What’s This “Trick” Called? Comment Down Below!! Funny animals make you happy and laugh funny animal compilation 10 Best Travel Destinations in Taiwan Source: Soccer – thesun.co.ukcenter_img People Slammed By Massive Waves 4 Funny Moments Of Football Top 5 Best Budget Hotels In Dubai under AED 400 a night. REAL vs FAKE GOLDlast_img read more

ALMOST €11.6 MILLION ALLOCATED TO DONEGAL ROAD PROJECTS FOR 2013

first_imgDonegal has been allocated almost €11.6 million under the 2013 National Roads Allocation.The allocation is down almost 50% on last year, however when more than €20M was allocated.A number of major projects have been included in the allocation which was announced last night. The allocation has been welcomed by Labour Party Senator Jimmy Harte.“This is a substantial allocation and it will go some way towards the development and upkeep of the road network across Donegal,” said Senator Harte.Among the projects allocated funding are the Mountcharles to Inver Road – €2M, Letterkenny to Lifford Road, €300,000, Dungloe to Glenties Road – €580,000.Other projects allocated substantial amounts of funding include Kilmacrennan Traffic Management – €80,000 and Loughanure Pavement Repair Overlay – €280,000.  ALMOST €11.6 MILLION ALLOCATED TO DONEGAL ROAD PROJECTS FOR 2013 was last modified: January 22nd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:National Roads AllocationSenator Jimmy Hartelast_img read more